background





Race Schedule

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Mighty Meatballs

What's this?  A recipe?  Crazy, isn't it?

I made meatballs tonight, I've been craving them for a while.  So, what are the big bads in meatballs?  Well, there's an assortment of ground meats you can use.  My favorite combination is lamb and veal - not at all economical, just for reference.  There is always the conventional beef.  I went for turkey this time, however, I have learned from previous experience (and when I say experience, I mean DISASTER) that you cannot make meatballs from extra lean turkey.  The extra lean turkey falls apart, you need a little fat for whatever kind of binder you choose to attach to or you're just going to have really well seasoned turkey crumbles!

The next big bad is the aforementioned binder.  Typically breadcrumbs and egg for meatballs.  I usually half the breadcrumbs and use parmesan cheese (the powdered, canned stuff) for the rest.  I swapped out my egg for Olive Oil this time.

All these measurements are estimates, when I make meatballs (and meatloaf) I just dump stuff in the bowl.  I'm guessing we don't all have the same size hands, so "a handful of bread crumbs" doesn't really work.  As a result of my guestimations when I cook, no nutrition facts on this either.

So, here's how you make these happy little guys happen:

Mighty Turkey Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs lean (93%) ground turkey
1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
2 healthy pinches kosher salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced

Mix all ingredients well and from into 1 inch balls.  Place in mini muffin pans (one meatball per cup) or in foil lined pan.  Cook 1 hour at 350 degrees.

You can do what you wish with your meatballs from here.  I like to simmer mine in a red sauce and serve over whole wheat pasta.

A side note to this recipe.  SALT.  Sodium in large amounts is bad for you.  I'm really careful about sodium in processed foods but I use salt when I cook.  Here's the reason:  Salt makes food taste good.  Sweet food, savory food, it needs salt to round out the flavors.  Reason #2 I cook with salt:  I'd rather control the salt I put in my recipe when I cook it then finish, decide its bland, grab that salt shaker and go to town.  Say what you want about my methods but I think food should taste good.

Nothing new to report on the injury -I hate to use that word- front.  Still not able to run, so I'm in the same place as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment